Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Dottie Box #2

You may remember me telling you last month about a subscription box I signed up for called Dottie Box. I received my second box this month and, to be honest, I was less than enamored. I think the concept is pretty neat--each month you get a box of things from different Etsy shops. It's a great way to support handmade and to find some products that you may never otherwise have tried. But the thing is...it's a bit pricey per month, and if the stuff inside isn't your thing at all you feel a bit...I don't want to say cheated or ripped off, but you definitely feel a little disappointed.

Here's what my second box looked like--


OK, cute little packages looking like presents. I can get behind that. Here's what was in those packages--


Homemade laundry soap, which I'll probably never use (but it does smell good); some shimmery fold-over elastic hair ties; earrings that I won't wear (I can't wear earrings--gross things happen to my lobes); a very strongly scented soy candle that I can't burn because soy candles make me cough terribly for some reason); and a bit of soap that is about a third of the size of the tin that it comes in.

I wasn't majorly in love with the first month, but I have used most of the products. Everything was packaged really cute, they included coupons for certain shops, and other little things. This month I feel fell short of even that, especially as I'm probably not going to use any of the stuff. I signed onto my account and cancelled my subscription. Hey, I'm all for supporting handmade. But I'm also for feeling like I got my money's worth. So far I feel like I have paid for a lot of cute packaging. They do have a blog that I'll check out to see what was included in that month's box, and if there's something that catches my eye I'll just buy that particular product.

BUT I do still really love the idea of a surprise box of who knows what each month, so I researched the other boxes that are out there a little more and picked a new one to try. This one is about the same price but has free shipping, and is craft-oriented. The past projects are all things I would have made, so I'm excited and curious (and wondering how I missed this one the first time around).


5 comments:

  1. I've never heard of such things! Where have I been? So let me get this straight. You want to be surprised but so far you haven't loved the surprises you received. May I suggest you give that sum of money to someone who knows you and let her do the shopping for you? That way, you're bound to get stuff you like and you still support the handmade biz?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh -- I love Jane's suggestion. I would love for someone like my sister or BFF to shop for me! I'm dying to see if you like the other service -- I hope you'll share which one it is if you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was less than thrilled with Whimseybox, unfortunately. The post office sent my box to the totally wrong city, and it took 2 weeks to get to me... their customer service rep acted like it wasn't their problem because they had addressed the package correctly!!! I have cancelled my subscription with them :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to seeing what round 2 comes up with!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...