Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Insanely Easy Tote

I had just the right amount of fabric left over from the porch swing revamp for a tote bag. I came home from aerobics last night and whipped this little baby up in no time flat. Well...no time flat once you subtract all the time I spent wandering into the other room to watch Little Miss Sunshine. Did you ever catch that flick? I love it hard. You should try and see it if you haven't--it's a bit goofy, but sweet, and different. Ok...the tote. Yes, the easy tote.

Because I make so many bags I often feel that even when I make something simple, like a tote, that I need to interface the wazoo out of it and add all kinds of details. But simple can be good, too. Really really good. And oddly satisfying. That's how this project was. Now, mind you, if this was a large tote intended to carry heavy loads I would have triple-stitched and interfaced and blah blah blah, but with this one it's the lining and the exterior and that's it. A simple bag in a simple print--perfect together.


See? It just works. It doesn't get any simpler--the lining is plain old unbleached muslin, for mergatroid's sake!


Lest you think I sewed 2 rectangles together and did a little dance over this accomplishment, I must direct your attention to the bottom corners--


I boxed them a little differently than I normally would (I just learned the technique and was eager to use it again). Usually I flatten the corners into a triangle and stitch across, but not with this one. When you load it up the bottom flattens out, but when it's empty it goes flat so you can fold it up and tuck it away nice and easy--


I realize now this would be a more helpful photo if I had put something near it for scale, but it's a good size to slip into your handbag and keep there for any unforeseen toting. I was trying to create a tote that would work for something like a few magazines, a book, a bottle of water--the kind of tote you'd take to sit on a park bench and read or people watch for a few hours, if people even do that sort of thing anymore. It fits a sewing book and a drawing pad perfectly too :)


I gave this one to my mumsy, since she is madly in love with the fabric. She loves simple, and it doesn't get any simpler, either in design or fabric, than this.

So that's that. Would you guys be interested in a quick tote tut on how to do those bottom corners? The bag itself you could do in your sleep, but the corners might be a nice little technique to add to your bag of tricks. Leave a quick note in the comments and I'll whip something up this weekend for you :)

22 comments:

  1. Hey there. Love the zebra bag in previous post! And I love the one you made your Mom! ( I always sign myself Mumsy, with my kids )
    Yes, do a tute! Do it, do it...do it!!!
    : ) Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. So simple and so effective in that gorgeous fabric. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wunderbar!! I LOVE the fabric BTW, it's simple and lovely... so, where did ya get it ;-)
    Esther.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's really simple and effective! I do like your fancy schmancy bottom corners. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I personally like sweet and simple bags myself. One of my favourite bags is a calico bag with NO LINING, no pockets and no closure. I just throw everything I need inside and it's large enough to hold my jacket as well. I have made quite a number of bags to sell at my craft markets which do not have interfacing. The younger ones love it but the older folks don't like the floppiness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to know how you made the whole thing!! I am in love with that fabric too, where can I get my hands on some???

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tote! I love the fabric!
    I'd love a tutorial! I always use the squashed triangle method!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow you are right, so easy....love the fabric, perfect choice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Simply BEAUTIFUL.

    Love for you to share this project at MADE by ME Wednesday's Linky Party @ JAQS Studio:
    http://www.jaqsstudio.com/2012/06/made-by-me-34-linky-party-and-features.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is it possible to have "too many bags"? My husband and I don't agree on this. Please do a tutorial, I saw some fabric at Ikea that would be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my! I love it, what pretty fabric and great bag!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, Yes, yes I would love to see the tut on the inside bottoms. I love the fabric toooooo. Thank you for all your great tuts.
    Annette

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm seconding the yes, Yes, YES comment from Annette. I would love to see how to make those gussets. Please do share a tutorial or just written instructions when you have a free moment. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very cute! I'm a beginning sewer so a tutorial would be lovely so it can help this newbie learn! I love the fabric and the simplicity. :)

    Jess
    http://thedelightfulcrafter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree- we can never have too many bags!! Make us a tutorial, please!!
    Really cute material for the simple lines of the bag :)

    Sue
    legato1958@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. It looks great, and I know what you mean about remembering simple every now and again!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this tote!! So simple. Stopping by from Craftionary Friday Fun Party. Here is what I shared: http://craftybrooklynarmywife.blogspot.ca/2012/06/kids-roll-up-nap-blanket.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. beautiful and simple!!!just perfect!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love this bag and would love to make it, please a tutorial on the whole thing, well maybe just the boxed corners and measurements of the fabric pieces! love that fabric by the way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yes please explain how you did the corners! I kept ready hoping to get to that part!! This would be a great bag to take along on a trip for those extra souvenirs that need to be toted!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love that fabric! I’d love for you to share this project on Tuesday’s Tidbits @ Naptime Delights: http://naptimedelights.blogspot.ca/2012/06/tuesdays-tidbits-4.html
    Thanks so much!
    Sarah
    {http://naptimedelights.blogspot.com}

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is adorable!! Hope you can link up at my trendy tuesday party!! http://www.sweetlittlegals.com/2012/06/trendy-tuesday-4.html

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...