Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Preppy Clutch Purse

Last night after aerobics I decided I needed to make this purse. I thought about it the whole class, and you would think that it was some great, novel idea instead of something I've made oodles of. But the difference, you see, is that it wouldn't be made of cotton and I'd embellish it. And no matter how simple the idea, once it's in my head I can't let go of it until I've made it or have a very good reason not to. I didn't have a good reason, so onward I went. The result looked a little different in my head (I imagined it in a plaid, and this is clearly NOT a plaid) but I like it very much anyway. Side note: last year I had this delightful black and gray plaid that I used every last scrap of. It was the most perfect color and style and texture, and when I imagine preppy winter bags it is in this fabric. I have yet to find anything like it, and so I suffer some slight disappointment each time I make something akin to it that is NOT it but is my feeble attempt to replicate it. Anyway, here's the purse:


I still love the fabric - it's very soft and warm. It looks and feels like wool, but is actually cotton. I like how the herringbone houndstooth (I ALWAYS call it the wrong thing) pattern is kind of subtle and not so high-contrast as black and white. My thinking was that it would make a cute purse for winter/fall when you don't want to lug your whole bag but want something cute and stylish just the same. It fits all the essentials, and I think would be adorable for a cozy winter date or even a wedding (my sister's stomach probably just lurched thinking of this bag at a wedding, but I would carry it to one - she's much more stylish than I am :)


My original idea for an embellishment was a flower. I had it going and it was looking good, but finishing it off in any way that was secure enough for this and that I would be satisfied with wasn't happening, so I went with a big yoyo and a few buttons. It's a little larger than I thought it would be, but I think it adds a nice touch. I can't decide if it would be better without the red button...I thought it needed a little pop of color, but now I don't know if the black would have been fine too. I guess I'll have to make another. I have just enough of this fabric left for a small project.

And here's the inside:


This has been in my stash for some time and I feel like it was waiting for this purse to happen. I'm not a big maroon/burgundy fan, but when it's paired with gray I love it. I thought this would whip up pretty quickly, and it would have if I didn't have such a hard time with the initial flower. These are some of my favorite purses to make - they're pretty quick and make a pretty satisfying little project.

I made up this week's quilt block tonight, and I think its goal was to try and kill me. Oh. My. Word. Holy seams! I'm not entirely pleased with my end result, but I was pretty proud of myself for getting out of my comfort zone with this one. Pics to come later this week! Hope your Wednesday is so good it makes you feel like it's Friday!

I'm doubling up on my linkies this week - woot!


12 comments:

  1. The clutch is lovely, great choice in fabrics, love the lining!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really really love it! You are very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's darling! Love the fabric and the adorabe layered buttons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it, fab colours, and love that flower

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute clutch. I love the color. I found you at Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop. I am a new follower.

    Hope you can visit my blog / be follower. http://scrapidoodlelicious.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stop it. You're killing me with cuteness!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the red button and lining! I'd love to have a skirt made out of that material with a red scarf. You're giving me ideas...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this purse! It's such a cool colour and texture. I'm not too sure about that red button tho'. I've worked with houndstooth before. I just feel blind afterwards. I think I have some houndstooth remnants waiting for me somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's so cute Bethany! I love it! I was going to buy some suiting fabric last night to make a purse and just couldn't find the right combo of colors, now this makes me want to go back and try again. I tried one time to make a purse with a frame and it didn't turn out so good - I'll have to try again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super cute idea. I am your newest follower. Feel free to check out my site and follow me back here: www.utahcountymom.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like it! I would take it to a wedding too, in the winter.:) I've never tried to make a purse, but maybe I will.:) I'm a new follower from the weekend wander.:)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...