Thursday, May 13, 2010

Tickled Pink

I love pink. I used to hate it. It reminded me of pajamas and grandmothers.  I think I thought I was supposed to like it because I'm a girl, so I rebelled by not wearing pink all through high school.  This is also the most rebellious thing I've ever done.  And it wasn't even really rebellious, because it's not as though someone was standing there each morning yelling and trying to force me to wear pink.  So I get excited when people ask me to make things for them that are pink. I have an aunt who told me once that I need to make more things in taupe. I promptly responded "What the hell is taupe?"  I know exactly what it is; I just like to be difficult.  Read on and you'll see why I think she might need more pink :)   ANYway, I did a lot of pink sewing this week.  I finished the diaper bag, and it's super cute:

These fabrics may look familiar; they're from Joann's.

Normally I would have done the straps in pink, but the request was for them to be in brown.  The rick-rack around the top (the wavy stuff) is hiding an itty-bitty boo-boo; my machine got hungry and distressed the fabric nicely in one spot, so this is covering it up.  I bought this stuff on a whim, with that feeling that it might come in handy one day.  The other option was to take the entire thing apart stitch by stitch and redo half of it.  I think the choice is obvious.  This bag is super-filled with pockets.  There's a pocket in the middle on the front of the bag, and elasticized pockets on the side:

 
Perfectly sized to hold a baby bottle (or some body spray, as in this case).

On the inside, one side has plain flat pockets; the other side has nifty bottle pockets with elastic tops.  I like the little ruffly effect the elastic has.

It's just such a happy, cheery bag without being totally babyish.  I like the cutesy baby stuff, but some people really don't want to carry something that screams baby.  I don't know why--it's not like it's a secret you have a baby; if you're carrying a diaper bag I assume you've got the baby with you as well.

And now, with the glue busily drying in the other room is my new case for my iPod:

 Case for my iPod
I like how it looks a bit like a fish with a huge mouth.

I've been searching for a screen protector for it but they're stupid expensive, so I figured this was a good enough alternative for now.  Plus I'm completely enamored with (or is it by?) that outer fabric.

And just in case that wasn't enough pink for you, here's a little bit more (file it away under 'stuff I'll never need to know but will read anyway because I've come this far so why not?'): 

* Pink is the color of happiness.

* Brighter pinks are youthful, fun and exciting while vibrant pinks have the same high energy as red.  They are sensual and passionate with being too aggressive.

* For women who are often overworked and overburdened, an attraction to pink may speak to a desire for the more carefree days of childhood.

* Pink can encourage action and confidence.

* Pastries taste better when they come out of pink boxes or are served on pink plates.  It only works with sweets--pink makes us crave sugar.

So maybe I should have worn more pink.....

I'm off to look for free photo-editing software.  If I can't take a good picture I can at least make you think I can.

**UPDATE:  You can do some PhotoShop editing for free online--I can already tell it's going to be better than what I'm currently doing.  It's a bit more idiot-proof--always a good thing.  Flickr does it as well, but it's not as easy to do.  I haven't tried the Google one yet (Picasa)--I'm satisfied so why bother?**

5 comments:

  1. I like pink more as an adult than I did as a girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I was just the opposite. I never had much pink stuff and now that I'm all grown up with 3 boys, I WANT some pink in my life. :) It's a good, fun, happy color.

    Cute bag! It looks like a lot of work, but came out nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That bag WAS a lot of work, lol--I thought it would never end. And thank you !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha I so didn't need to read MORE reasons to love pink. I want a pink house! :D

    Love the sweet ricrac of the bag.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...