Monday, March 15, 2010

Bag candy (similar to eye candy, but better)

Before I forget (again) and stay up way too late sewing to blog (again) I'm popping up some baggy loverliness (and not so loverliness) that I've been concocting.  Most of these are going to be up for sale this Thursday at a spring craft fair I am participating in. The photos aren't so hot as we've been short on daylight here with this rainy dreariness.  So, without further ado...

First we have some basket style bags (which I've made before), but these are improved with a handy little snap flap across the top and an inside zippered pocket to hide your secret stuff.  This bag is so easy to make, but ends up looking extremely professional and can be made to suit a wide variety of fabrics.  I found the instructions for them at u-handbag.

Light aqua and brown bag with delish marbleized acrylic handles.

Fun summery bag with bamboo handles.

Next up is a hobo bag.  I bought this fabric for an insanely cheap price back around Christmas, and decided to use it to test out a pattern I had bought.  It came in three sizes, so I made the middle one. I could move my bed into this bag, so I'm glad I didn't make the large version.  I think the smallest size would be perfect.  Everything went together well, but I'm not sure how I feel about it:

I feel like I should call this bag 'Watermelon Picnic' for what I think are obvious reasons.

The handle is nice and comfy, there is plenty of room and several pockets inside, and everything is neat and tidy.  So I'm going to say that it's the fabric that's not so hot. But I like it. I don't know.  I'm not sure.  I'll try and sell it and we'll see what happens.  Moving on...

You know Vera Bradley? The quilted bag lady?  Well, I love her bags but refuse to lay out the money for one when I can make something similar.  Or so I thought.  A friend of mine asked me to make her a bag similar to this one:

The Vera Bradley 'Amy' bag.

Of course I said "Piece of cake!"   I drafted a pattern easily enough.  It went together ok. The result was less than stellar...

When I saw it wasn't going to work according to plan, I gave up on making good straps (which is why they don't look good at all).

I tried another one, and it actually came out worse.  So, being frustrated, I decided to just go for it on my own and freestyle a bag not based on anything. And I love the results. It's similar in size, but otherwise different:

Fiesta-colored bag with a fun polka dot lining.

This particular bag has a hook on the end of the strap so you can carry it looooong (or sling it across the body, as is the plan for this one) or double up the strap for a little shoulder-bag.  It's been named "The Boardwalk Bag" as it's intended to hold the essentials for strolling the boards when you just need your phone, keys and some cash.  (If you're not from Philadelphia or New Jersey you may be asking "What is a boardwalk?"  It's a promenade made of wood set just off of the beach that is full of shops, food, rides, and fun for the shore-goer).  This is the first bag I've actually designed that worked 100% according to plan, so I'm excited.

And just as an FYI: Blogger has added a feature that allows individual pages on blogs to better organize information and make certain things easily accessible.  I've added a few (you can see the links just under my new banner at the top) and will probably add a few more.  Some don't have anything in them yet, but they will soon.  Just mentioning it.

That's all for now. That fabric won't be cutting itself (although I'd love it if it did).

2 comments:

  1. The yellow/orange floral fabric looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was very yummy. I had just enough left over to do something with. I wish it had turned out better...I'll probably carry it myself since I have no shame :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...